Sunday, October 26, 2014

Blog Topic #9

 Alex Grey, Gaia, 1989


Banksy, Better Out Than In, 2013


 Carrie Mae Weems, The Kitchen Table Series, 1990


Shirin Nashat, Women of Allah Series, 1990s


My VTS group consists of 2 art majors, one art grad, and a college grad with some art studio experience. They have really grown from their first VTS discussion so I tried to choose images that would be appropriate for college level students. Currently in one of my other classes, I am working on a collaborative project that consists of putting together a list of 75 postmodern artists that high school students should know. I selected my 4 images from that list of artists. I think these are images that would be appropriate for high school students who are seasoned VTS participants.

2 comments:

  1. Dionne,
    You are able to choose much more sophisticated images because of the makeup of your group. The images you chose would really lead to great discussions I think. They all offer lots of possibilities. I think the Weems and Nashat photos would really resonate with young adults with their opportunities to bring current events into the discussion. I'll look forward to hearing which one you choose--should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intriguing selection!! I particularly like the Shirin Nashat piece. The Nelson Atkins Museum has a work by this artist that motivated a VERY rich discussion at the VTS Summer Institute this past summer; so direct and powerful and intriguing! Of course, I LOVE Carrie Mae Weems' Kitchen Table Series as well. Very provocative work.The Banksy piece is fantastic, too, as is the Grey piece and all seem suited to your group! I don't envy your choice! Good luck and can't wait to see how it goes!! (BTW, Willie Cole's "Man Spirit Mask" from the Saint Louis Art Museum is the one I really wanted us to VTS when we were there! Check it out! You'll love it!!)

    ReplyDelete