This
week I want to VTS a photograph from Shirin Nashat’s Women of Allah Series. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am
working on a group project compiling a list of 75 post-modern artists high
school students should know. Shirin Nashat is one of the artists on our list
and I find her photographs to be very captivating. I think this image is particularly
striking and will immediately capture their attention. Nashat works
specifically with the themes of oppositions and differences in Muslim culture,
but in general she works with the theme of fear. I think she addresses the
theme of fear in a very interesting way, and students need to see how artists
work with a theme that is perhaps difficult for them to address themselves. As
for my group I think this photograph will be challenging for them, especially
after last VTS discussion which was of a photograph. That was the first time we
did a discussion of a photo and I think it threw them through a loop; they were
a little hesitant with their comments. Even though they were a little hesitant
they still loved discussing a photograph, so I want to give it another go this
week. Also, because there is not a lot of items/content in the image, I think
will challenge them to really conceive some in-depth interpretations.

Very excited about this image choice for your students and love the fact that the slower pace of the Weems photo didn't intimidate you! I also find the work of this artist not only compelling but so timely! I wonder if it will inspire any of your students to investigate Nashat's life and work or even Islamic art in general. Nashat's work has much in common with more traditional Islamic imagery, as it should. Great choice and I anxiously await the results of the upcoming discussion!
ReplyDeleteOh my, is the first thing that can to my mind with this image. Yes, this image is very captivating and this image will hold your High School student attention, it is still holding mine. What a way to show culture and differences through image to the young view. Great pick for your class, good luck this week.
ReplyDelete