Shirin Nashat, Women of Allah Series, 1990s
This was the second time in a row that I chose to VTS a photograph. The first time we discussed a photograph, they were surprise to see something other than a painting; up until that point, all of the artworks we discussed were paintings. I wanted to challenge them again and so I picked a photograph. I specifically chose Nashat’s photo because of the content as well. I thought since there is only one figure in the image, it would challenge them. In all of the other artworks that we have discussed, there was more than one figure, sometimes several. I also think that the subject matter of the image was something that college or high school level students would be able to tackle. For all these reasons, I was really excited for the discussion.
I wasn’t sure how they would react to the stark image but
they were able to have a really good discussion. I was really impressed with what
they were able to come up with. I thought the single figure and limited content
of the image had the potential of being too challenging but it wasn’t. The
group was able to come up with different interpretations which made me feel
like the image wasn’t too challenging for them.
Since there is limited content in the image, my group
noticed everything. This is what my group noticed about the image: the female
wearing a chador, the calligraphy written on all part of her visible skin, the
pistol she’s holding (and that it doesn’t appear to be loaded), and the
negative space. What they spoke most of and was most interested in was the
pistol. They all generally agreed that the pistol is what draws the viewer in
but discussed different ideas for what the gun’s purpose could have been. The other
thing that intrigued them was the calligraphy. They were disappointed that they
didn’t know what the writings meant, but of course not knowing allowed them to
propose their own ideas behind their meaning.
For scaffolding, this image would be good to introduce
students to artwork that uses both imagery and text. As I said, the text was
one of the aspects of the image that they were most intrigued by so I think
students would naturally want to discuss the possible meaning of the writing.
More than once, a participant talked about the calligraphy and provided
different ideas for what they thought the meaning was. One student suggested
that the writing was the woman’s story. Another student suggested that since
calligraphy historically tends to be a male dominated thing, that it was a
message of male dominance. Generally, I think the potential for discussion of
the text makes this image good for scaffolding.
What surprised me is what one student said about the pistol.
One student pointed out that the pistol doesn’t appear to be loaded. I never
noticed that about the gun before the discussion. This same student also seemed
to have an idea for the type of pistol it was. She was able to point out more
detail in the pistol than anyone in the group. Another student surprised me when she commented on the way the woman is holding the pistol. She said the way she is holding the pistol is not threatening, like the way you would imagine someone pointing a gun. This student suggested that the gun is more of a symbol telling the viewer to stay away rather than to actually suggest that she intends to harm.
I would use this image again just because of the great
discussion we had this week. The subject matter is relevant to our world culture and therefore intriguing
to students.

Wow! Sounds like an excellent choice for your advanced group of viewers! I'd love to know the one participant's evidence for the gun not being loaded!! I agree that it would be an excellent image for introducing older students to the intersection between imagery and text. How cool would it be to have a student in the group who could read Arabic? That would be scaffolding/zone of proximal development at its finest!!
ReplyDeleteDionne--your discussion was awesome. I could tell almost immediately that you were working with advanced viewers, even when I couldn't see the faces or bodies of the people participating. Some of the responses were so well-crafted and really resembled discussions I have had in higher level art courses before. I really have to commend you on your waiting period at the beginning of your VTS. While I consider myself to be very patient, I have a tendency to skip through waiting periods of silence, so I was particularly struck by that. One thing I noticed was that a lot of the responses to your image were very long, which I think often happens with advanced viewers. They were really focused on the meaning of things rather than just stating what they saw. You lead a really beautiful discussion and your calm, collected demeanor contributed a lot to your discussion. One thing you might work on in the future is the second question, what do you see that makes you say that, because it was sort of lost after the first few remarks (though some of your participants gave evidence). Overall, great job and I am looking forward to seeing you again in December. :)
ReplyDelete